Friday, July 26, 2013

I Need to Order "Dating for Dummies"

A little background is in order, I suppose.

I'm a Soldier in the U.S. Army.  I'm attending a training school.  I've got two evil minions, and most of my time is spent playing Soldier, Mom, and student.

Now is when "Blue" enters the picture.  We'll call him Blue because he has the most beautiful blue eyes and a smile that instantly makes my knees weak.  He arrived here to this school about two months ago.  Occasionally we'll see each other, he'll smile, and I'll get all clumsy and flustered.  Prior to yesterday, we'd only had one chance to converse.  It was an interesting conversation.  I had been on guard duty with a classmate, and he and another Soldier came to take over.  While my classmate was briefing them, he kept his eyes locked on me.  It made me slightly uncomfortable, because I'm not used to having a man pay attention to me.  Especially when I'm wearing my seemingly man-repellent uniform.

So yesterday, I was walking into the building my class is in.  The door I normally use was locked, so I went to another side door.  And there he was, just standing in the hallway.  As I passed, he stopped me and asked about my combat patch.  Then we started a conversation; and while talking, I noticed he was checking my hands for rings.  He threw out that he's not married, he's single.  That's about when my classmate walked up and stood near me with his arms crossed, like a big brother.  That's where the friendly, casual conversation stopped.  Lunch was almost over, so I said goodbye and walked upstairs to my classroom.

Was he interested?  I don't know.  I think he was?  I have no idea how to gauge someone's interest, and no idea how to let someone know I'm interested.  It's a tricky situation, especially when in uniform.  Maybe this is why I'm cold and aloof, because I'm deathly afraid of seeming TOO interested.

I am terrible at this game.  Absolutely terrible.  I wish they offered dating for dummies classes, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment